1.76 million people live in the 983,482 square kilometer (379,725 square mile) state of South Australia. This weekend Australia’s national broadcaster made a big announcement:
South Australia’s renewable energy boom has achieved a global milestone. The state once known for not having enough power has become the first major jurisdiction in the world to be powered entirely by solar energy.
For just over an hour on Sunday, October 11, 100 percent of energy demand was met by solar panels alone.
“This is truly a phenomenon in the global energy landscape,” Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) chief executive Audrey Zibelman said. “Never before has a jurisdiction the size of South Australia been completely run by solar power, with consumers’ rooftop solar systems contributing 77 per cent.” Large-scale solar farms, like the ones operating at Tailem Bend and Port Augusta, provided the other 23 per cent. Any excess power generated by gas and wind farms on that day was stored in batteries or exported to Victoria via the interconnector.
South Australia is where Elon Musk installed Tesla’s giant Powerpack battery as part of a massive solar and wind farm.
Read more of this story at Slashdot.